Friday, January 22, 2010

The Unexpected Proposal



December 28, 2009, a day I expected to be like any other day on a vacation. Mike and I had gotten up early and headed into New York City to do all the touristy stuff as usual. Mike had won the trip to New York and I was ecstatic to be able to see my favorite city all decked out for the holidays, a dream come true. Since we both had been to the city a couple of times we had no agenda. We knew we wanted to get our ever favorite double-decker bus tickets and take it from there. As soon as we obtained our tickets to my dismay Mike suggested the Empire State Building. I was confused and a little annoyed..."Why would we want to go there AGAIN?" I could tell Mike was disappointed so I agreed. That was until we got there and it was a 2 1/2 hour wait. I was not about to waste that much time standing in line, so we headed into the City to see the many other attractions. We had an amazing day. We went to Macy's to see the windows, a bus tour of holiday lights around the city and of course, the ever famous Christmas tree at Rockefeller Plaza. It was a perfect day.

As we got off the bus tour I was excited to be heading back to the hotel to get warm and get some sleep for our next day adventures but Mike said he thought we should go to the Empire State Building! "WHAT? Are you serious?" I was cold, tired and now pretty irritated, but I agreed. We arrived at the top of Empire State Building about 10:30 pm. The wind was blowing and I was grumpy. The thermometer read 17 degrees but the wind chill was about 10. After about 1 minute out in the bitter cold I asked if we could go. Mike told me to just chill for a minute. So I looked at the night lights for about 2 more seconds and turned to ask Mike if we could please go, Mike was standing there holding a beautiful diamond ring. At this point you would think I would be happy but all I could say was... "Oh hell you are going to do that right here?" Of course Mike being the very patient man he is didn't let it phase him and he asked me to marry him. I told him I would think about it. (Sometimes sarcasm really isn't appropriate) I told him yes! He put the ring on my finger and we went inside to get warm. At this point I was in shock!

For many days after I was in shock! This is something I had wanted for a while but truly never thought would happen. He had been telling me since the day we started dating that he was NEVER getting married again, and I believed him. Why wouldn't I? It had been 4 1/2 years we had been dating.

After the shock came the "What if's?" What if we can't afford a house? etc. etc. etc. At this point you would think Mike would have changed his mind and ran the other way but he didn't, he just calmly answered each 'what if' with a heartfelt answer that everything would be okay.

And now??? I am thrilled! Mike is everything I have ever wanted in a man. He treats me like a princess no matter how spoiled I may be acting. He maintains my high maintenance personality and he loves me with all his heart. I know that marriage will have its challenges but I believe with all my heart that Mike is the man I want to spend forever with. I love him so much and can't wait to marry him!!!

3 comments:

  1. I love it!!! I can't believe you got Mike to write on this! That really is love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this blog is a great idea. I have been smiling every time I have thought about the proposal, since you told me. He IS a patient man and you are a lucky woman. . . I think he is pretty lucky, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog! I voted that you guys should get married in the summer of 2011 but I actually think it should be way sooner than that! How about Sept. or Oct. of 2010???

    ReplyDelete