Saturday, January 23, 2010

Mr. and Mrs.


I must admit, when I first realized I was going to have to change my name it brought tears to my eyes. I've had my last name for a LONG time.


Now most women take their husbands last name and it doesn't really affect their life all that much. They may hear it once or twice a week..maybe, but in the case of a teacher it is a daily occurrence. I will be going from nice Miss Duncan to crotchety Mrs. Kraus. Will my students still love me?

So when I realized this I began to think I just wouldn't take his last name. Does it really matter in this day and age? It will save me a lot of hassle of having to change my driver's license, social security card, etc. right?

I brought this subject up to Mike several times over the course of a few days after we got engaged and always being the nice guy he is he didn't say much. He would say "Oh Gosh" and that was about it. So I thought it was a done deal. We would get married and I would keep my last name.


A couple of days later we were at a friend's house at a party with my many other teacher friends and I brought the subject up again. I asked their opinion and we joked about it. At that moment I looked over and saw the hurt in Mike's eyes. Always trying to keep the peace he really didn't tell me how he felt but I could tell he was hurt. It was then and there I realized I should be proud to take his last name because he loves me enough to marry me and share it with me. So now I am going to be Mrs. Kraus! I can't wait! I love you Mike! And your last name!!!

1 comment:

  1. I definitely think you should take his name. I'm old-fashioned that way and it bugs me when woman keep their maiden name. I hope we weren't teasing you about it at Julie's??

    ReplyDelete