Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Popping The Question


It has taken me a long time before I really thought I was ready to really think about getting married again. I have known for a long time how much I truly love Jessica. She has won my heart. I started thinking that I would get the ring the end of November and ask her to marry me the night before her birthday after we left the Sushi For Santa event. Getting the ring was very difficult for me because I was not sure what style she would like. I went for the one that looked most like the ring she has worn since the day we met.
I went to the jewelers a few times to make sure it was the right one. I picked it up just before I picked Jessica up for our evening at the Energy Solutions Arena volunteering at the Sushi For Santa event. We had a great time. I really wanted to bid on one of the signed footballs for auction but didnt. By the end of the evening I hadn't really done too much as far as helping out. There was a raffle for a trip for two to New York to see the New York Giants football team play the Sunday after Christmas. I bought 2 tickets thinking that I at least made some kind of contribution. I won the trip. I knew I couldn't ask that night. I had to hide the ring for a couple weeks.
I told the guys at work that I was planning on asking Jessica to marry me at the football game. It would be original and something we would both remember. They told me I was crazy and that I needed to do it on top of the Empire State Building. They reminded me of the movie "An Affair To Remember". That is when I knew that was where I needed to pop the question.
Monday, December 28 we went into New York from New Jersey. I wanted to go to the Empire State Building first. We walked over to the Empire State Building and the line was outrageous. Jessica really didn't want to see it again, we had both been up to the top a couple times before. We did the tourest thing and had a great day. It was very cold.
I practically had to beg jessica to go to the top of the Empire State Building. She finally agreed. It was about 10:30 and it was very cold. Once at the top I made her walk outside to see the lights. It took me a few minutes to get up the nerve to finally ask Jessica to marry me. I was so nervous I almost dropped the ring off the observation deck. I started to get on one knee and pulled the ring out of my pocket and looked Jessica in the eyes and asked her if she would be my wife. I really think she was surprised.
Since I asked her to marry me I think we have become even closer than we were before. I know that this is meant to be. I love Jessica with all my heart and always will

2 comments:

  1. You two are so cute!! I have to say though "IT'S ABOUT TIME :)" Mike I am very impressed by the story, you told it so well. It was such a good idea to do it at the Empire State Building. I can't believe you held off asking for that long. I can't wait for little Devin and Addi to be in the wedding. I want to see weekly updates, so keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your such a softy Michael, are you sure your not a Romance Novel writer. No all kidding aside, I am very happy for the both of you. I only wish I had been half as romantic when I asked Wendy to marry me over 21 years ago. Keep us posted on all the planning. If you need a best man, let me know, I will always be there for you.

    ReplyDelete