Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Weddings 101

Are you looking for a photographer? Do you want to sign up for our drawing? Can I show you our brochure? When is the big day? All questions I heard when I went to my first bridal show. It was the Wedding Festival Show at The South Towne Expo Center.

I started the day having a tasty lunch with my mom, Lindsay, Tara, and her adorable kids at Joy Luck. After lunch, Lindsay, my mom, Kennedy and I headed over to the show. I stood in one line so I could get my lovely "Bride-to-be" lanyard while the others waited patiently in the "all others" line. Then it was time to head in for the main attraction! WOW! I had no idea what a wedding entailed, or maybe I just didn't want to. It was intense! So many different people trying to sell photography, invitations, cakes, honeymoons, reception centers etc.

We wandered up and down each aisle. Of course, my mom stopped and talked to everybody! Kennedy tried EVERY food sample there and Lindsay and I just sort of sat in the background and took in all the vendors. Overall, when the day was done I think we all had a great time. My mom said she had more fun than she ever expected and is excited to plan a wedding. I think Kennedy went home with a stomachache and I am still as overwhelmed as ever but have learned a few things.

I learned that I still want calla lilies at my wedding which is something I have always wanted since I was a little girl. I also DO NOT want roses at my wedding! Always hated them, always will! I learned that there are many, many, many photographers in Utah and most of them take pictures in front of trees or in the mountains! Ugh!! Hate that! Can't they come up with something more contemporary and fun! So I am still on the lookout for a photographer! I also learned that I want a simple cake that everyone can eat! What is the point of spending tons of money on a cake that you have to take the frosting off of? And the biggest thing I learned at my first bridal show is… there is no such thing as a $1000 wedding??? Oh well, Let the planning begin…

4 comments:

  1. SOOOOO FUN!!!! Yea for calla lilies and NO roses!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you said it perfect!!! It is so overwhelming to have a million people bugging you. You already no how you want it in your head, you just need to find the right people to do it! Photographers are the worst to be honest, because they are usually so specific in how they take photos. I agree with you do something different and fun. It's always more fun to break the rules anyways, c'mon we all know that! :) I am very excited for you jess, and was just sitting in my hospital room thinking about you. Keep up the blog for me, I check it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun! I was just thinking if you don't want mountains or trees in the background I know some great spots here where you could have sagebrush in the background...what do ya think? You let me know and I'm sure we could line something up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds about right. So much to think about. As long as you know what you want and stick to it it is all so much easier. Looking for a photagrapeher for engagement pics. I know someone

    ReplyDelete